Founded in 1991, the International Center for the Advancement of Scientific Literacy (ICASL) has worked with a wide array of scholars and institutions throughout the world to facilitate and coordinate the measurement and advancement of scientific literacy. The International Center holds the largest single archive of survey data concerning the public understanding of science of any research center in the world. The International Center will continue to:
- collect national surveys of public understanding of science and technology from countries around the world and to maintain these data in a secure archive
- share survey resources with interested scholars for minimal fees to cover actual costs
- provide technical assistance to scholars and governments seeking to design and conduct national studies of public understanding of science and technology
- host international conferences on selected topics relevant to the study and advancement of scientific literacy; and
- maintain a Web-based forum for the discussion of issues related to the public understanding of science and technology and the formulation of science and technology policy at the national and international levels.